Thursday, July 10, 2008

XPoNential Music Festival Kicks Off in Philly Tonight

The XPN 4 day festival kicks off tonight at the Camden Waterfront (close enough to Philly in my opinion) with the Blind Boys of Alabama.  We're sending Jody on yet another concert mission and she'll be checking in from the shows on Saturday.  

The girl is also an XPN member, so she has access to the artist meet and greets and is on a mission to meet Michael Franti on Saturday.  Should this not happen she'll probably claim that her loaner camera had some catastrophe, which is highly plausible.  She's been known to destroy some cameras in her day and went years only using a disposable one.  

Below are some artists we're most excited about at the concert.  (Again, Jody hates previews, so I get to pick whatever music I want.)  

Thursday
You'll be sure to take away some good fashion sense and maybe even save your heathen soul at this show.  

Friday
She's someone you should just see, plus I'm in one of my anglophile moods today.  
He sounds like the perfect combination of the music on which my dad raised me.  Springsteen is releasing a charity EP with some celebrity appearances from the Magic tour, including "All My Friends" with Alejandro, which I've, of course, included below.


Saturday
Jody gets full credit for introducing me to both Michael Franti and Amos Lee.  His last album, Yell Fire! has been a favorite since she sent it my way and gets plenty of play during my runs.  His new album, All Rebel Rockers, comes out in September and we're awaiting its arrival.   
As with most of Jody's recommendations, Amos is a great singer-songwriter and had a strong stretch as my go-to mellow music at work when his self-titled record came out in 2005.  Plus, he's from Philly, no less!
This is good rock 'n roll...just what you need to rejuvenate your musical spirits after 4 hours in the sun and many more to go.  

Sunday
You should definitely recognize her song, "Take Me the Way I Am," and it has hand-clapping, no less.  (A little Jessi Confession time here.  I'm addicted to Grey's and I want Alexandra Patsavas's job, the musical genius behind those soundtracks.)  
Maybe it's because they're from Staten Island, but I love their sound.  It's different and just what I need right now.  It makes me want to film some sexy, dark 70s movie with fabulous coloring and awful clothing and use them on the soundtrack.
I caught them at The Hold Steady show two weekends ago in a rain storm and enjoyed their set, even if their music is something the Canadian likes a lot more than I do.  

No comments: