Saturday, July 12, 2008

Waterfalls & Manhattanhenge



Last night I had an hour after the No Age show before I had to be uptown, so I headed back to my car, grabbed my big camera and blended in with the tourists along the East River to check out the waterfalls, or should I say Olafur Eliasson's The New York City Waterfalls.  I took these photos just below the Brooklyn Bridge and you can see the falls by Manhattan's Pier 35 in the distance in the photo below.  There are two more falls:  between Brooklyn's Piers 4 & 5 and on the northern end of Governor's Island.  

I'd heard about the kayakers who capsized by the falls on my drive in and had been thinking, wow, that would be a cool thing to do with a great vantage point, but on second thought, we all know that I'd end up in the water just like them.  And for you nerds who want some details on the falls, it cost $15.5mm to install, but is expected to generate more than $50mm in revenue.  

Tonight is Manhattanhenge--when the sun sets in perfect alignment with the Manhattan grid.  This means the big camera is going to be on me again today and I'll probably be darting out of some establishment just before 8:25 to catch a few photos.  



No comments: