Monday, July 14, 2008

Can I just have a Moment to Rave about Nick Cave? (he does have a fabulous moustache after all)

photo by Steve Gullick

I'll be the first to admit that I was probably a bit late to Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.  I still remember the moment of discovery, when I saw the video for "There She Goes, My Beautiful World" on TV.  Lord only knows what I was watching, although I do feel like I was in Athens at the time.  That song was an immediate download and I can still picture the video in my head, although it's been years since I've seen it.  Since then he's been my personal treasure that I occasionally seek out for further fulfillment.  I have to be in the right mood for Nick Cave, but when the moment strikes, I'm all in.  Although there are my favorite songs that I could listen to whenever.  

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! was one of my actual record store purchases this year and hello massive photo booklet!  (I think the music gods knew how much I like moustaches and wouldn't let me get the digital release.)  I was determined to get the record from the moment I first heard a few singles on KEXP.

I have to thank Alan at sixeyes for the periodic Nick Cave posts that make my day.  (I thought he was the one who posted the Black Sessions, but I can't seem to find the link.)  I'm adding personal favorite from the Black Sessions, "The Ship Song," below, as it hasn't left my head over the last few days.

The band is signed to Anti Records, an indie label that really surprised me when I checked out their artists the other day.  Lots of bands that I really enjoy form their roster.