Thursday, June 12, 2008

Our Guide to Bonnaroo or Jody's 2nd Assignment for the Blog


As I’ve said before, I can’t do Bonnaroo because I haven’t camped in over ten years and I like showers too much (Yes, I know there are showers, but I’ve also heard what goes on there.)


While I won’t be there, the blog is sending Jody to cover it, as that girl loves nothing more than a 10 hour drive, followed by 4 sweaty days amongst the people.  Give her a few baby wipes and she’s all set.  Since the Jody lacks an iPhone, we’ll be relying on the random phone calls and texts, plus some photos when she gets back.



Jody & friends create identical shirts to convey group-think.  


Since I’m a demanding editor, here’s my recommendations for the weekend:


Thursday June 12th

What Made Milwaukee Famous 5:45 – 6:30 (This Tent)

MGMT 8:30 – 9:30 (This Tent)

Battles 10:00 – 11:00 (This Tent)

Vampire Weekend 11:30 – 12:45 (This Tent)

Lez Zeppelin 12:00 – 1:30 (That Tent)


I’ve been wanting to see MGMT since I fell for them in February/March and am planning to see them at the McCarren Pool Parties this summer.  Vampire Weekend better hurry it back to New York, because we are all set to see them at Summer Stage on Saturday.  And the blog has had an obsession with Lez Zeppelin since I found out about them during my Hawaii trip in February, spurring quite the confusing email to my ND crew.  (Note:  Jody's drunk cousin will be handling the reporting for Thursday, as Jody's car roles into Tennessee early tomorrow morning.)


Friday June 13th

Drive-by Truckers 12:30 – 1:45 (Which Stage)

The Fiery Furnaces 1:15 – 2:15 (That Tent)

Tegan & Sara 2:30 – 3:45 (This Tent)

The Raconteurs 5:00 – 6:30 (What Stage)

Rilo Kiley 6:15 – 7:45 (This Tent)

Chris Rock 7:45 – 8:45 (What Stage)

Metallica 9:00 – 11:30 (What Stage)

My Morning Jacket 12:00 – 3:00 (Which Stage)


Miss Lez Zeppelin the night before?  Head to Tegan & Sara for some seriously good girl rock.   If you haven’t seen Willie yet, you should probably do so before his ethanol fueled bus gives out, if you know what I mean.  I saw him at Farm Aid a few years ago with the girls, so I’m choosing Kelly’s favorite Rilo Kiley in his place.  I guess you should also see Metallica, unless you can skip Chris Rock & Metallica for a little nap to store some energy for the My Morning Jacket show, which is definitely the crowd pull of the day…even if they’re playing at midnight.


Saturday June 14th

Mason Jennings 1:30 – 2:15 (This Tent)

Gogol Bordello 3:30 – 5:00 (Which Stage)

Cat  Power 4:30 – 6:00 (This Tent)

B.B. King 5:30 – 7:00 (What Stage)

Kanye West 8:15 – 9:45 (Which Stage)

Pearl Jam 10:15 – 12:15 (What Stage)

Sigur Ros 1:00 – 3:00 (That Tent)


I can guarantee that Jody’s probably not taking my advice and will be seeing Ben Folds instead of B.B. and Phil Lesh instead of Sigur Ros, but I can handle that.  Here’s hoping that Chan Marshall keeps her stage fright in check.   And Jody, Dommie would love you if you got close and took video with actual sound for the Pearl Jam show.


Sunday June 15th

Rogue Wave 1:00 – 2:00 (Which Stage)

Broken Social Scene  2:15 – 2:45 (Sonic Stage)

O.A.R. 4:45 – 6:15 (Which Stage)

Robert Plant & Alison Kraus 6:15 – 7:45 (What Stage)

Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi 7:00 – 8:30 (That Tent)

Widespread Panic 8:45 – 11:30 (What Stage)


Daddy Lauer would say to see Solomon Burke instead of O.A.R., but I have yet to see this Ohio by way of New England band.  Daddy Lauer would also be seeing Robert Plant & Alison Kraus, then rushing over for Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi.  I still think they’re secretly his favorite rock couple.  If Lou was still my client, I’d have to say to see WSP, but I might be tempted to pack up early..although Jody does tell me that they’re an amazing finish to the festival.


And if you get the chance and can find the The BIg Sleep, check them out.  They produce more sound than you'd ever expect from a three piece band.  Enjoy the camping, heat, humidity and most importantly the music.  I’ll be in New York, checking out some other shows, hopefully in air conditioning or a shady spot in the park.

No comments: