Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Islands at Waterloo Records, Austin


Even if my fate handed me some shitty music days to check out Austin, I was able to see Islands play yesterday at Waterloo Records.  I had planned to go to Emo's to see them that evening if there was any chance of me staying awake.  While I stayed awake, I was a bit distracted the rest of the evening.
The band was ready to go ten minutes before 5, except the sound system wasn't always agreeing with them during sound check and the singer had a bit of anxiety about his run-in with a cactus the night before and the electrical shock that hit him before they started playing.  I was afraid his frustrations were going to hinder the show, but the only hindrance came from some crazy "fan" who kept shouting throughout the set--seriously, you don't need to be that guy.  Shiner Bock was providing free beer and I always forget how much I like it until I'm back in Texas or my guys throw a well-funded Texas Independence Party with a cross state trip to pick up some Shiner Bock.  

Islands tore into "The Arm" to kick off their 7 song set and instructed the audience to check out the Hallelujah Chicken Run Band, which inspired their jam during "J'aime Vous Voir Quitter."  

Oh yeah, the band's Canadian, as if you didn't know that already.  We love all things Canadia.  

Update:  I finally got around to adding the video of "To A Bond" on YouTube.  I'd lost it amongst the files from my road trip.



Set List
1.  The Arm
2.  Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby
3.  Pieces of You
4.  Kids Don't Know Shit
5.  To a Bond
6.  J'aime Vous Voir Quitter
7.  Creeper

No comments: