Saturday, May 24, 2008

It's a Brooklyn Day

I was supposed to head into Brooklyn today, but I just couldn't drag myself into the city today--it's beautiful day to sit on my patio in Connecticut, the roomies are gone and our favorite restaurant reopens tonight. So instead, I'm supporting Brooklyn from home with photos, music from my favorite Brooklyn bands, and news of a free screening at BAM--their weekly emails attempt to keep me cultured.

One of my favorite things to do with out-of-towners is to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It can take them down through Chinatown, past City Hall and across the bridge to see the skyline and enjoy the pizza at Grimaldi's. Of course, most of my New York friends laugh that they still haven't done this. These pictures are from the day that every guy I knew was watching the NFL draft, leaving me free to a day of Jessi in the city.
BAM is hosting a free screening today at 4:30 of Ken Burns' 1981 documentary on the Brooklyn Bridge in celebration of its 125 birthday.

Speaking of BAM, I'd be foolish not to remind everyone of The National's concert at the Gilman Opera House in February.

Listen up:
Pela - The Trouble with River Cities.mp3
Pela - Anytown Graffiti.mp3
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - The Skin of my Yellow Country Teeth.mp3
The National - Gospel (Daytrotter Session).mp3
(Links removed after three days--if you like this sort of music, subscribe...and if you're really heartbroken, email me.)

Things about these songs:
-Join me for Pela at the Bowery on June 6th
-It took me at least 5 listens to like this Clap Your Hands song, but now it won't leave my mind
-This is my favorite song by The National and was lucky enough to finally see it at the BAM show. For those of you not as obsessed, the songs from the Daytrotter Session are a collection of songs the band typically doesn't play live, but there was an online petition to get them to perform these songs for the session. So the next time you see a petitioner on the street, you can tell yourself that petitioning might actually accomplish something.

No comments: