Friday, May 30, 2008

G-U-E-R-D-O-N: Spell It to Me , Spell It to Me


Hoosier Sameer Mishra just captured the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee championship by correctly spelling guerdon. (Interesting...the word isn't in Google's spell check dictionary.) Our office has a little tradition around the spelling bee. Each employee is randomly assigned 3 contestants and the one whose contestant finishes the highest receives the office trophy. I won the inaugural contest two years ago, then refused to give up my trophy last year. I'm hoping that it's still securely glued to my desk when I return to the office on Monday.

In honor of Sameer and all those little spellers, here is our spelling bee mix for your weekend enjoyment. Had I been handed a word that was spelled in a popular song, I might not have gotten out so early in that spelling bee from sixth grade. Ooo, if only I'd heard this inspirational tale after getting dinged out on sorrow all those years before: Sameer returned not once, not twice, but 3 times to the national contest and won this year. Fourth time's a charm--congrats Sameer!

Spell It to Me Mix
Aretha Franklin - R.E.S.P.E.C.T
The Kinks - Lola
John Mellencamp - R.O.C.K. in the USA
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Bonus: Acronyms & Phone Numbers
Naughty by Nature - O.P.P
Tommy Tutone - 867-5309/Jenny

No comments: