Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Frightened Rabbit - Live @ Pianos NYC 5/27/08

Frightened Rabbit played a fantastic, sold-out show (the band's first ;) ) at Pianos in NYC tonight. I've already told FBF to catch them in Columbus at The Basement and all my Chicago friends better buy their tickets to see them at Double Door this Thursday. Check out the rest of their tour dates below--they're a must-see and I'm luckyl that I was able to see them in such a small venue.
Scott brought a fabulous sense of humor to the show and seemed quite at ease in front of everyone. Most songs were accompanied by stories or banter with the audience. Before he moved to keyboard to play "The Twist" (check out the video below), he started to tell everyone that he wasn't the best at piano and had to label the keys, but the marker kept rubbing off, so his bandmates relabeled it, only it ended up reading Huge Cock. During "Backwards Walk", Scott was overcome with laughter at the beginning and had to stop and clarify that this is a serious song about heartbreak.
The band pulled off an amazing performance of "The Greys". The vibrations from the band were streaming through my legs and at one point during the song, Grant lost one of the cymbals from his kit. I had captured most of the song on video before my memory card filled up, but then I deleted it to record Keep Yourself Warm...maybe I shouldn't have done that. During the set Scott mentioned a trip to the West Village's Music Inn and he brought out a new guitar that he must have purchased there for the solo acoustic performance of "Poke" to close the set.
Should look through some old photos
I adored you in every one of those.


The video for The Twist is below, but head over to my YouTube page for videos of "Good Arms vs Bad Arms", "Fast Blood", "My Backwards Walk", and "Keep Yourself Warm". I'll be uploading more photos or at least sharing the link once I have a chance to actually look through them (probably after getting a few hours of sleep). Live mp3s from the set are below.

Thankfully the concert was fantastic, because I got to my car to find a parking ticket that was issued while they played Poke. And for once, my reaction wasn't anger. I said to myself, hell, I would've paid 80 bucks to see these guys like this. In other thank yous, much love to Jay and Wes at Liberated Matter for bringing together such a great show. Pianos for being such a wonderful, small venue with nice bartenders. And finally, my bartender and new friends at Epstein's who kept me company and well-fed before the show.


I love how this video turned out. Thank you little Sony Cybershot of mine.

Set List
Modern Leper
I Feel Better
Good Arms vs Bad Arms
Fast Blood
Old, Old Fashioned
Twist
Be Less Rude
Backwards Walk
Music Now
Heads Roll Off
The Greys
Poke (Acoustic Solo)
Encore/Cross Pollination with The Brother Kite
Keep Yourself Warm

Photos from the Cross Pollination set

Frightened Rabbit Tour Dates
05-28 Cleveland Heights, OH - Grog Shop
05-29 Chicago, IL - Double Door
05-30 Madison, WI - High Noon Saloon
05-31 Minneapolis, MN - 400 Bar
06-01 Chicago, IL - Do Division Festival
06-02 Kansas City, MO - Record Bar
06-04 Dallas, TX - Granada Theatre
06-05 Austin, TX - The Mohawk
06-06 Houston, TX - Walter's on Washington
06-07 Baton Rouge, LA - Spanish Moon
06-09 Birmingham, AL - Bottletree
06-10 Nashville, TN - Exit/In
06-11 Columbus, OH - The Basement
06-14 Omaha, NE - The Waiting Room
06-15 Denver, CO - Hi Dive
06-18 Seattle, WA - Nectar
06-19 Portland, OR - Holocene
06-21 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
06-22 Los Angeles, CA - Roxy Theatre
06-23 San Diego, CA - Casbah
06-24 Phoenix, AZ - Rhythm Room
06-27 New Orleans, LA - One Eyed Jacks
06-30 Washington, DC - Black Cat
07-01 Cambridge, MA - TT the Bear's * with Relay
(Touring with French Kicks through 6/11; then with Oxford Collapse through 6/30)

2 comments:

Billy said...

Hey Jess,

This is Billy from Pianos. Would it be ok to use your photos for our site?

I will credit you in our blog.

email me at

BillyJones@pianosnyc.com

if so...

Awesome.

Billy

SARAHSPY said...

hey! saw your videos on youtube & clicked over. i think i must've been standing relatively close to you because of the vantage point. on my blog tomorrow im going to post a month-end round up of my favorite shows i saw in may & this is definitely #1. god so good. anyway i plan to include one of your videos & will credit & link -- let me know if thats not ok. and in any case, thanks so much for making this stuff available online to re-live my favorite show in a while!!! :)