Friday, May 2, 2008

Dax Riggs/Deadboy & the Elephantmen Covers

Dax Riggs has been my favorite musical secret for the last 6 years or so when my brother introduced me to Deadboy & the Elephantmen. Nevertheless, I had never heard his cover of In the Aeroplane over the Sea, until I happened upon MOKB's list of top covers of Neutral Milk Hotel's song. Since then, it's been on heavy rotation.

We heard him cover The Pixies' Wave of Mutilation at Lollapalooza in 2006 and it led to my worst Rock Band performance of all time, as I know the tempo and inflections of Dax's version so well, that I completely wrecked what Black Francis originally created.

If anyone's in New Orleans Lafayette, be sure to catch him tonight and tomorrow. I'm still so thankful for the chance to see him at such a small venue a few months ago.

Below are some of the covers by Dax that I have in my collection, as well as video from his performance of the Misfits' Skulls from his show in February. If you have more covers, please feel free to add below!

Deadboy & the Elephantmen - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.mp3
Deadboy & the Elephantmen - Somewhere Over the Rainbow.mp4
Deadboy & the Elephantmen - Yesterday.mp4
Dax Riggs - Skulls.mp3
Dax Riggs - Ramblin' Man.mp3
(Ramblin' Man's audio starts a little rough at first, but I couldn't resist. Daddy Lauer and I love the Allmans!
Deadboy & the Elephantmen - Wave of Mutilation (iTunes Link)
Dax Riggs - Wall of Death (iTunes link)



Up next in covers by my musical secrets--Joey Hebdo, who made our Tuesday nights in Athens. (Boys, wish I could join you this weekend!)

No comments: