Monday, January 28, 2008

Shhh...iPod & I secretly love Barenaked Ladies.

Kelly and I have had a long-running joke about listening to Barenaked Ladies. I'm not sure when we decided it was uncool, but as soon as we turned that corner, there was no turning back. In my head it began when my co-worker's fiance asked if they could go on the Ships & Dips III (it's so good, they had to skip number three and immediately go to number two) cruise for their honeymoon a week before the wedding. This caused numerous chuckles in our office. Kelly has entered a store and deemed it lame upon hearing BNL on the sound system. Recently, when I stayed over at someone's apartment, I kept hearing Maybe Katie as I drifted in and out of sleep, but was hearing the lyrics Shady Katie. Not sure what the underlying meaning here might be. And when I leave iTunes running at work, I'm terribly embarrassed to return and hear the Everything to Everyone album blaring from my seat, especially if that monkey postcard song is playing. Any sort of BNL incident and I'm immediately on the phone or gmailing with Kelly, confessing that my iPod would be lambasted by the characters of High Fidelity. (Note to self, Jody & Kelly: This has me picturing being yelled at by Jack Black in the record store, so maybe we should back it happen?)

The strange thing is Barenaked Ladies made up a significant portion of my college soundtrack, especially in Stanford (spelled it like my city again) Hall and our dorm room. They were always on my to-see-in concert list when I was younger, although not necessarily on a cruise ship, and I appreciate their quirkiness. But when I left the pool tonight, I had to smile when iPod unleashed one of their songs during its shuffle. (And why does iPod shuffle adore BNL and Ben Harper so much?) So maybe I've come to realize that I really do enjoy them, even if I really shouldn't admit that. (Let's hope Justin isn't emailing this article to our office distribution list.)

After the BNL in the car, I decided I would go all out and listen to Rock n' Roll Spectacle while I cooked dinner at 10:15 (this training is killing my evenings). And since I'm confessing all things mundane this weekend (the good confessions happened in the city with Nicole this weekend), I'll admit that I like every song on this album, there are plenty of four stars and even one five star rating--What a Good Boy gets me everytime and I can still picture someone singing it in Stanford Hall in the same unabashed way the boy in About a Boy sings at school. This album will forever be associated with my freshman year of college, even if it was released 3 years before. (Canada note! This means it was reached when my favorite Canadian was in his first year of university--he's so old! Now that I'm thinking about it, this band has Canada notes galore! The band is from Canada and fellow Canadian, Jason Priestly, directed the band's video for The Old Apartment. That last tidbit never got me excited, I was much more into Luke Perry...and this final thought has helped me connect the dots on this post and my ND life.)

Now if only I could listen to one of their other albums with the same level of enjoyment. This might be a good challenge for the rest of the week or my 11 hour plane ride next week on which all three of my iPods will be put to good use.

The last few days have been good. I finished babysitting on Friday and was promptly stopped around 1 am at a DUI checkpoint. The officer didn't seem to believe that Dressy Jessi with the straight hair would've been coming from a babysitting gig, but thank god for my lameness that night. I headed into the city on Saturday and randomly met up with Nicole and spent a good few hours at Playwrights catching up on the past few months over some beers. Now if only we could both end up in the city this summer. I ventured over to Hoboken for some Rock Band with Kevin, then returned to the city to meet up with more of my fellow Bobcats. Sunday was spent catching up on my sleep, running, swimming, lifting and laying around watching bad tv with Jeremy.

Between the time on the train, roaming the city, and my run along the beach, I had plenty of time to catch up on my music, although there were definitely some repeats with Van Morrison's Moondance, The Raconteurs' Broken Boy Soldier, plus the terrific three song set from the Zane Lowe BBC Sessions, and The Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium. Somehow Live got into my head and I put on the Distance to Here, which takes me back to freshman year of college, Blue Hair, and their concert with Counting Crows the following summer with the best concert rainstorm I've ever experienced, which also led to the naked car ride home.

Now to enjoy my favorite TV boyfriend, Stephen Colbert, as I wait for my favorite accountant to come home.



This video took place in the early 90s when goatees were a necessity and features awkward facial hair and some even crazier I-wish-I-was-an-early-90s-rapper-high-hair. And he's wearing a pink tuxedo shirt. Nevertheless, I love the song and will just have to refrain from ever watching the video again.



My weird 90s video creepiness continues with this number. Again, it's a song that I absolutely love, but the video has always scared me. Throwing Copper was one of the CDs that Mom and Dad confiscated from me for being misogynistic/having bad language when I was in middle school. The kicker was they then let my younger cousin have all those CDs.



And after my second weird 90s video, I knew exactly where I was going with the final part of the trifecta. Jeremy and I were watching Sports Science last night and everytime the narrator mentioned crash test dummies (which happened a lot in the group's testing), I started humming, mmmmm,mmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmmm.

What's with all these strange videos from my middle school days? I now have the feeling that whatever song I think of from that era will have an equally embarrassing video. And now I want to watch the MTV special with my tv boyfriend, Jon Stewart, about the 25 Lamest Videos...so good!



Woody just sent me this clip of the pilot of 24 from 1994. It's making me giggle and is the official iPod shuffle Bonus clip!

No comments: